Memorandum of understanding between Fondazione Bruno Kessler-Sensors and Devices Center and ELI-ERIC (european research infrastructure consortium)
A Memorandum of Understanding for science and technology cooperation between the Extreme Light Infrastructure (ELI ERIC) and Fondazione Bruno Kessler was officially signed in February 2023.
For the past 15 years, Dr. Antonino Picciotto, coordinator of research and technology process development at the Micro Nano Facility, in collaboration with the ELI, has been carrying out pioneering research in particular on advanced materials for particle acceleration with unconventional systems and for “almost clean” laser-driven nuclear fusion with his colleague Dr. Daniele Margarone, currently Scientific Director of Operations at ELI-Beamlines Facility.
These studies, which have been the subject over the past 15 years of some 40 peer reviewed publications, many of them in very prestigious journals, and several international patents, have demonstrated the undoubted technological capabilities that the Micro-Nano Facility can express in a wide variety of research areas, ranging from the fabrication of particle and radiation sensors for particle physics applications, to the fabrication of MEMS and gas sensor devices, and up to the present day quantum technologies applications.
The cooperation agreement, which was signed by Sensors and Devices Center Director Prof. Richard Hall Wilton and ELI-Beamlines Facility Director Roman Hvezda, will include the following points:
- Cooperation on the development of laser-driven particle and radiation sources and laser-induced fusion schemes through innovative engineering solutions based on advanced materials and micro or nanotechnology.
- Cooperation on the design, fabrication and testing of innovative detectors for laser-generated secondary sources based on silicon-compatible microtechnologies.
- Joint scientific experiments and related research activities
- Joint scientific publications and patents
- Exchange of technical and research personnel for joint R&D projects
The meeting, held in Prague at ELI, was also attended by the heads of the Micro Nano Facility (MNF) and Custom Radiation Sensors (CRS) research units, Dr. Lorenza Ferrario and Dr. Giancarlo Pepponi respectively.