FBK AMBASSADOR OF INNOVATION AT CAGLIARI ‘S G7 ON TRANSPORTATION WITH THE “CLIMB” PROJECT ON CHILDREN’S INDIPENDENT MOBILITY
It is one of the seven good practices, selected by a scientific committee of more than 400, that will be representing Italy in Cagliari, during the "Transportation G7"
G7 Gallery is the space dedicated to Italian innovation and will be inaugurated on Tuesday, June 20, at the Ex Manifattura Tabacchi, during the works of the next G7 on Transportation – June 21-22 in the capital city of Sardinia – and that Involves Ministry representatives and public and private companies, experts and other industry stakeholders.
The exhibit is open to citizens, institutions, businesses and G7 delegations, focusing on the innovation of our country and collects the best projects on sustainability applied to the world of infrastructure and transportation.
The seven final projects, including CLIMB, the one from Trentino, had been collected in the past months (March to May) thanks to the “Nice to meet you G7!” call for practices, promoted by the Ministry of Infrastructures and Transportation, and will become ambassadors of Italian innovation during the Transportation G7 meeting, for the first time open to good practices and proposals of citizens and to the visions of large corporate companies.
The CLIMB project
To grow, children need to become independent, a condition that requires trust in the surrounding environment. Unfortunately, progress has caused, in many cases, a generation of children who have grown watching the world from a car seat. This, in addition to hindering their development, has a negative impact on the environment.
In the “CLIMB” project, technology supports independent mobility, thanks to these ingredients:
- IoT (“Internet of Things”) solutions in support of the Walking Bus, with which children walk together to school
- A game (Kids go green) that motivates them to reach the school through sustainable means, in which the kilometers actually traveled correspond to a virtual trip in the world. The game promotes sustainable and active mobility of children through persuasive gamification technology. Summing up all sustainable kilometers (walking, cycling, school bus) made daily by children, teachers and volunteers, schools advance on a journey into the real world. Progress and reached legs are displayed on an interactive multimedia map. Each class, based on their curriculum, can add study material to certain legs.
CLIMB is a community initiative (children, families, schools), which promotes sustainable mobility education and has been developed thanks to the collaboration between the Municipality of Trento and Fondazione Bruno Kessler. To date, it has involved two schools in the area, over 100 children and 45 volunteers.
These are the seven proposals selected to represent Italy at the G7 Transportation Meeting:
- Greenrail: An eco-sustainable railroad tie made of recycled materials;
- Ribes Tech: A photovoltaic film that if applied to smart infrastructures is able to power them;
- Marioway: A solution that responds to the mobility needs of people with disabilities, and non-disabled people as well, that is driven hands-free with multiple physical-relational benefits and can also be used indoor for long distances;
- Bike +: The integrated kit that makes all bikes electric, also using the energy of the cyclist’s movement to get charged;
- OSVehicle: An open and modular platform for manufacturing low cost and environmentally friendly vehicles that can be assembled in less than an hour;
- [email protected]: Proposes a carpooling system based on a virtual currency that also allows funding of charities;
- Climb: An IoT system and an app that monitors and helps children reach the school by evolving the logic of the “Walking Bus”.
More information at:
- CLIMB project presentation video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKsE6CsM63k&feature=youtu.be
- Project website: https://climb.smartcommunitylab.it
- Presentation story of 5/9/2017: https://magazine.fbk.eu/it/news/il-piedibus-smart-diventa-un-gioco-per-camminare-nel-mondo/
- G7 Trasporti event: http://italiacamp.com/eventi/nice-to-meet-you-g7-evento-finale/